Tuesday, April 30, 2019

My Writers' Circle: Highlighting Diane Krause

Diane Krause's Profile Photo, Image may contain: one or more people, sunglasses, outdoor and closeup
[Meet Diane Krause]  

Over the weekend, I met a new writer, Diane Krause, who is writing short stories (including period pieces from the 1920s) while working toward writing contemporary women's fiction about modern-day problems like global warming, drug addiction, and homelessness. She then plans to add a love interest.  She says of her stories, "Sometimes the love blooms, and sometimes, the woman doesn't get her man but is changed for the better by the relationship."  My favorite part of her plan is she also wants to write a story from the point of view of someone dealing with schizophrenia.  Since my brother is in an institution for that very mental illness, I, personally, am going to be following her writing career.  


When asked how she got into writing, she said, "I’m lucky as I grew up in a family who encouraged reading and writing.  Writing came easy to me throughout my schooling.  I started a daily journaling habit as a young mother. I continue today even though my kids are grown with families of their own.  Journaling keeps me grounded.  One day I decided to join The Institute of Writers Breaking into Print program.  There, I fell in love with fiction writing and never looked back.  For me, a day without writing is like a day with no sun."   A lot of writers feel the same, that writing makes their life worth living. 


She said what she liked about writing was "turning a blank page into a finished work."  She continued by saying, "First, I get into a writing zone and scribble a basic story.  Then, the writing turns real.  I go through every line trying to bring it closer to the vision in my head.  I like the editing process because that’s where you turn your work into a polished jem.  When it’s complete you’ve reached a goal."  This is what some of the other writers said they liked least, running into blank pages and dealing with polishing and editing.  This goes to show that every writer is different.  


The part she said she liked least is that "[i]t’s time consuming."  She said, "I view my writing as something I leave behind when I leave this world.  It’s not to get rich or famous, but to have my children say my mom wrote this.  The written word is my legacy.  The catch here is because I’ve placed pressure on putting out perfect pieces for my legacy, it takes me more hours than necessary to write a short story."  

Be watching for new material coming out soon by Diane Krause.  

No comments:

Post a Comment