Sunday, April 28, 2019

Making Connections: Writer Thomas Paxton


I've been blogging about writing in a more literary fashion.  Recently, I've also been updating you on things I've learned from the classes I've been taking.  A few weeks ago, I specifically addressed the idea of building a writer's circle, a group of writers who can support you as you support them.  Many of the ideas I've learned of late come from the Write Practice. The class I'm taking teaches about how to create an email and writer's web page, how to write and share a story, how to get it polished, how to build a writers' group, and how to actually get the piece published, and how to start to build a following that will embrace it.  This week, I learned a technique anyone can use to start building their writers' group, which is reaching out to writers you already know to learn more about them and to further your connections in the writing world.


I interviewed five writers about whom you've probably never heard, so you can gain insights into what is important to other writers, especially beginning writers, and so you can learn about what some up and coming writers are working on.  I will be sharing a bit about each of these writers over the course of this week in a very special set of blogs.  One of the things the course suggested we do was share information about our fellow writers just as they're sharing information about us.  That's what I'll be doing in these blogs.  

Thomas Paxton

One of my first interviews was with my nephew, Thomas Paxton, an ambitious novelist whose sci fi/fantasy series, ShadowFang, he compares to a combination of Harry Potter, "Avengers," and Game of Thrones.  It's dark fantasy about the human condition, about trauma and healing, about family, love, and so much more.  Those who have read book one, Crimson Nightfall, it have been swept up in the drama, passion, and humor of his labor of love.  He's right now preparing his first novel for an editor then will be working toward publication.  Here is the interview I had with him:

The Cover of Shadowfang Book 1: Crimson Knightfall

When I asked how Thomas got into writing, he answered what got him into writing was "the fascination of wanting to tell a story and play with fictional toys instead of real ones."  He also emphasized the importance of the human heart in telling a story.  Of his specific genre of horror-fantasy, he said, "I'm fixated on the idea that we live horror and don't realize it."  He sees horror as reflective of the human condition.  

When I asked what he liked most about writing, he said the following: "I like that it's therapeutic.  I can act like I'm not me and be in control of my life for once.  That brings me to writing.  It's arduous coming up with complex story ideas.  It's the one place and time of day with college, kids, and work that I can be myself but not me.  I'm becoming these fictional people in my head.  It brings me to writing in the first place.  I have too much fun wrecking people's worlds.  I'm upset my own world gets wrecked all the time.  It's masochistic therapy, being able to see fictional people picking themselves up after they got wrecked and wrecking them again.In other words, he likes the control he has over fantasy worlds, of his projection into these worlds and characters, and its therapeutic value. 

Thomas's logo for the series. 

When I asked him what he didn't like about writing, he said this: "I don't like the part where I stare at a blank page,and it doesn't write itself for me.  I can't have my computer do a Dumbledore pensieve and pull out DNA strands.  It's the difference between taking a picture and making a scene.  With a picture, it happens and is pretty.  With writing, you have to decide which words to keep after you vomited everywhere.  After you bled and vomited, you have to take a mop and clean it up."  I think we all can understand this.  

Many of us who are aspiring or even practicing writers can relate to Thomas's passion and struggles when it comes to writing.  Be on the look out for ShadowFang, coming soon to a shelf (and click) near you.  Also be watching over the next few days for more interviews with passionate writers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment