Thursday, May 2, 2019

My Writers' Circle: Katie Snyder



This is the last in my series of interviews with fairly new writers to expand their audience as I help you discover the world of new talent.  Katie was actually the first one I interviewed.  She has it all.  She's not just a writer but also a blogger, a podcaster, a photographer, a person with a BA in Psychology, a creativity coach, and an all-around wonderful person.  She hosts a podcast most of us can appreciate called The Doing Scary Things Podcast.  She's right now shopping for agent and publisher for her books Never or Now, The Girl in the Box, The Creativity Companion, and A Guide to Beginning (though the last one is an eBook she's producing for free for you).  She's all about helping the reader find the courage within to break down barriers and embrace their creative side.  



When I asked her how she got into writing, she said, "I think [...] I always wanted to be a writer when I was younger.  More than not believing in myself, I never considered it as an actual occupation or thing to do.  When I was 18, I started college.  I didn't have a minor.  I randomly picked photography on a whim.  I thought it would be a hobby.  It turned into a sixteen-year career.  It was not easy.  I made the worst grades in my life.  It took a long time for things to click for me.  Along the way, people would say things like it must be awesome to be born with this talent.  I wish I could do something like that, but I'm not creative.  It got to me.  I knew my story.  I knew it hadn't come naturally.  They were trying to compliment me, but they were putting themselves down.  They assumed only if you're born with a gift, you can do something.  If you're not, you can't.  I'm writing nonfiction.  Talking to these people, I wanted to do something to encourage them on their own journeys, so I began to study creativity."  Katie has gone through the kind of voyage we all can pursue, which is realizing we, too, can be creative and pursue our dreams, whatever they are.  



She continued by saying, "I'm a Christian.  Never or Now, which I'm working on now, will be a religious narrative nonfiction book.  Christian tradition tells us that God made the earth and everything in it and that we are made in His image.  People glaze over that point.  We are creators!  We are made in the image of God.  We have license to apply ourselves and do whatever we want to do.  So that's what the book is about.  It's a challenge to really pursue your passions.  And my own story of finding my way is woven through there."  Not every person is a Christian, but every person can realize the power they have inside to create something new.   

[eBook-source]

When we talked of the course we're both taking with Write Practice, she said of the instructor of the course, "I know Joe personally that started the Write Practice.  He lives here in Atlanta.  I took another class to get the book finished.  I've pitched it in person to one person.  They liked it.  They want me to send in more information.  With nonfiction, there's a lot of emphasis on the book proposal. I've had so much anxiety about getting the proposal perfect.  This class is great because I've had a longtime career in photography and now  I'm having to rebrand and make a writer's website.  I have an eBook idea about beginning that I'm excited to complete and give away."  She clearly feels strongly about this course we're taking and would recommend it to anyone starting to write.  


When I asked what she liked most about writing, she said, "I think, in general and especially with my topic, what I like most is being able to encourage people.  I didn't mention this earlier.  I started the Doing Scary Things Podcast.  The things we're passionate about are going to feel scary.  Through that, it's an an opportunity to hear people's stories and talk to them and encourage them.  That has been really powerful for me.  A recent podcast episode was an interview with Best Selling author Allison Fallon.  She teaches people who don't consider themselves to be writers to have a daily writing practice.  She talks about the mental health benefits from that."  Katie is so convinced about the power of creativity that she is spreading the word to all who will listen.  Her message is simple: you, too, have the power to create, no matter what endeavors you pursue.  In creating, you can even recreate who you are and will be.   

 

When I asked what she liked least about writing, she said, "I'm an honest perfectionist.  It's hard for me to get out of my head and hit publish, whether it's Instagram or blog post.  I second guess everything.  Writing has helped with that a little, trying to write this book I should say.  I think this is one of the things Joe talked about in the 100 day course.  You're never going to finish if you edit as you go or overanalyze.  It's been freeing to just get it out.  Trying to organize a book and have it make sense start to finish has been a challenge."  I think many of us have that perfectionist within.  When we see that what we are producing is not perfect, we, too, hesitate to send it into the world.  But Katie is here to inspire you to hit send, to make your creative voice heard.  

Head on over to Katie's website and discover a world of creativity she wishes to share.  She wants everyone to know that you, too, can do scary things.  

[writers together-source]

It's been a pleasure highlighting these authors, most of whom I never met until I interviewed them.  We, as authors, are a family.  If we reach out to fellow authors, show them we care and are happy to support them, they will do the same to us.  You, too, can reach out and create your own writers' circle and have fun doing it.  Now, go ahead and reach out.  


2 comments: