Sunday, October 16, 2016

Trying to Pin down what Makes a Story Work



I just watched the new "Ghostbusters" movie, and it really worked for me and for many of those I know for whom the older version isn't seen as the be all and end all.  I expected to like it.  I loved it.  It's rare that I walk into a movie with certain expectations, and it impresses rather than depresses me.  And I'm still trying to work out what worked so well for me.  Both versions have good humor.  Part of it is the newer version is so much cleaner and is something I don't hesitate to share with my kids.  But that's more of a personal reason.  It's not just the movie that works for me.  It's the STORY that works. How often does that happen, that a reboot is just as fresh if not fresher than the original?  Many reviewers thought it was a rehash.  Although I saw some resemblance and parallels, I wouldn't call it a rehash at all.

So what is it that made the story work for me?  I like theme of girl power without the need to hammer on the concept.  Women were allowed to be the center of a story without needing to lean on men for their power, initiative, or purpose.  I liked that Hollywood women were allowed to be frumpy, nerdy, to just be themselves.  My sister complained that it perpetuated the stereotype that intelligent women had to be frumpy.  I would argue these women looked precisely like they wanted to look.  And they were all beautiful.  They just didn't feel the need to flaunt that fact.  I also liked that the ditzy beautiful blond was a man for once.  He was charming, funny, and could be competent when possessed by a genius.  And he was played by Thor, who was clearly having the time of his life.



I think what worked so well for me was the very fact of its being a reversal.  It took all the stereotypes and expected themes for an adventure yarn and turned them on their ears.  It was all about female geniuses who used their entrepreneurial spirit to start a business and save the world.  And it was funny.  Not just mildly funny but very funny.   Every serious moment was counterbalanced by a wisecrack or a bit of straight-faced silliness.  Of the characters, the one I found most entertaining was Holtsman, the newer version of Egon.  She made every scene hilarious, and you never were quite sure if she was being snarky or meant it.  She was the life of the party.

So what can a writer learn about storytelling from this movie?  1. Balance humor with seriousness.  2. Be unexpected: turn stereotypes on their ears.  3.  Make sure your characters are convincingly human but also fresh and unexpected.  4. If you're going to retell an old story, make it your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment