Sunday, September 11, 2016

Grammar-free Zones



Last semester, I taught an English class.  Granted, it was a very beginning writing class.  But I got to teach then expect grammar and writing skills--to a point.  I've now been asked to teach a class that is even more of a beginners' class.  And it doesn't look like I'll be teaching [or expecting] writing skills in the weekly paragraphs I'll be receiving.  This, for a grammar nazi, is called torture.  FaceBook causes many writers pain.  I am one of those writers.  I read the humorous grammar nazi's rule book Eats Shoots and Leaves for fun.

Now, I will be looking at and papers, unable to let my internal editor say a word.  Tell me, fellow writers out there, how much fun it is to live in a world full of [sometimes intentional] bad grammar?  How much fun is it to walk through those 20 Items or Less [FEWER, people, FEWER] lines and not say a word?  How many times do you have to look at signs and billboards and not say a thing about how much people must be smoking to spell that way, where kids are able to see and learn all the wrong things?  How many of us can watch Weird Al's "Word Crimes" and laugh knowingly while mentally looking for (and finding) errors even there?

People like me who enter situations like these have to remember to breathe.  We have to remind ourselves that the only reason we haven't been unfriended by 90% of those we know on social media is because we can control our red-pen impulses and just shake our heads in silence.  The only way to keep the job is to be gentle and view the heart of the piece, not the trappings.  The world will spell and punctuate [or not] as it will.  We will somehow survive the experience and move on. And be thankful to have a job.  

1 comment:

  1. Write on! I am a retired English teacher and used to despair as the first years (11 year olds) trouped into my room and proceeded to hand me essays (or S As as one child called them) peppered with commas, or with no punctuation at all (atall..sorry). Happy to say after much drilling and filling, it was said you could spot my students as they progressed up the school by their use of the shy semi-colon and the almost extinct colon. I couldn't believe that, upon the declaration of our Prime Minister that grammar schools were under re-consideration, there was a # on Twitter that proudly declared #grammerschools. It wasn't a joke!

    ReplyDelete